16 December 2005

García Márquez involved in peace talks

Peace talks between the ELN and the Colombian government began today in Havana, Cuba. Gabo has gotten involved in these historic meetings:
The Government, the Eln and citizen guarantors agreed yesterday on a list of those attending the inauguration of conversations they will hold today in Cuba, among them the Nobel Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Additionally, delegates informed the three parties set the start of the "formal exploratory meeting" that seeks to initiate a process of reconciliation, for 5:00 in the afternoon. Delegates of the three parties will attend the inauguration, plus Cuban Government officials, representatives of the accompanying countries.
Colombian newspaper El Tiempo has more (includes photo):
“Estoy pesimista como siempre, pero optimista como cada vez que hemos empezado estos esfuerzos”, afirmó el Nobel.
("'I'm pessimistic as always, but optimistic every time we have begun these efforts,' affirmed the Nobel.")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays, m'dear! I finally got around to reading One Hundred Years of Solitude last month while traveling, and I loved it. I thought I wasn't García Márquez-fan material previously, but since then I've changed my mind. I also recently read a book by Adolfo Bioy Casares, which I love (The Invention of Morel). I thought maybe you'd read some of his works (it seems he's not hugely read)...